Kevin Durant is set to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2015-16 season. Although lots of NBA analysts says that he will likely stay with the Oklahoma City Thunder, there are rumors that he might sign up with another team next season.
Among the most talked about possible destinations are the Washington Wizards (his hometown team), Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks (they have a lot of room after DeAndre Jordan decided not to sign with them at the last minute), Miami Heat and believe it or not, the Golden State Warriors.
Just like the others, I was quite surprised to see and read that the Warriors are on the list of possible KD’s suitors. According to ESPNs Chris Broussard:
"When you talk to some executives, a name that has been thrown will shock people – Golden State. There are those around the league that think Golden State is a possibility."
Quite hard to believe that the GSW will pursue Durant but with some moves around the Warrior’s camp, it does seem possible. Here are some of the most notable ones that might be some sort of “preparation” for Durant.
- Golden State didn’t extend the contracts of Harrison Barnes and Festus Ezeli. The salary cap is skyrocketing. These factors gave Golden State a lot of room to sign the former MVP.
- Klay Thompson‘s dad, Mychal, mentioned months ago that the Warriors could possibly pursue Durant. He specifically mentioned “I also heard it on good authority from a team that plays in the Bay Area that they’re going to go hard after Kevin Durant”.
- Harrison Barnes turned down an extension offer prior to the start of the season. Two camps hold off until after the year to discuss a potential long-term deal. Barnes is set to be a restricted free agent.
- Sam Amick of Fox Sports also indicated the Warriors are on Durant’s short list of potential suitors. Check the tweet below.
Sam Amick on if the Warriors could lure Kevin Durant here "Yes, they are on the short list of teams."— 95.7 The GAME (@957thegame) July 7, 2015
- KD is aching for a championship ring. Joining the GSW might be his best chance to finally get one very soon.
With these facts in mind, Stephen Curry could possibly team up with Kevin Durant next season! This is quite scary for some teams knowing the fact that with Curry alone, it’s quite hard to stop the Warriors. What more if you team him up with an all around player and future Hall of Famer next season?
What are your thoughts of this news? Can you imagine Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson and Stephen Curry playing for just one team next season?
Image credits: @boltswap, sportingnews.com