Trece Martirez Cavite Ground Zero Explosion

on Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Huge Explosion at Cavite's Capital

The Star Maker Factory - Trece Martirez Blast made a big buzz on the news around the globe. The said firecracker blast scene or location had been dubbed as a Ground Zero, just like what the 9-11 Twin Tower location is being called. As of this writing, the investigation is still on going. Up to this date, the relatives and friends of those who has been killed and hurt are still asking for justice, support and prayers for their love ones.

This blast had made a huge effect in the Province of Cavite, specially in Trece Martirez (capital of Cavite). Many establishments suffered from large wreckage and damage, including the Republic of Cavite restaurant which I mentioned in the previous post.

Here are some of the media writings/articles about the blast:

From Philstar.com

5 Dead, 46 injured in Cavite Blast

MANILA, Philippines -- The death toll in the blast inside a firecracker factory in Cavite rose to five, while 46 people were reported injured, a report from the Office of the Civil Defense-Regional Disaster Coordinating Center said.

In Its 2 p.m. update, the center said the victims were all brought to the Mark Jem Hospital and Gen. Aguinaldo General Hospital in Trece Martirez City, Cavite. The fatalities suffered from third degree burns, the report added.

Frederick Bragas of the OCD-RDCC 4-A said forensic experts are now determining the identities of the fatalities, all workers of Starmaker Factory in Barangay Conchu, Trece Martirez.

"Some of the rescuers only recovered body parts so it is not safe to presume that they died in the blast," Bragas said in a phone interview.

The blast happened inside the half hectare compound of the firecracker factory around 11 a.m. today. Initial report showed that some of the workers were testing the firecrackers to be delivered to the Mall of Asia in Pasay City.

The explosion caused a fire at the pyrotechnics factory. It also shattered the glass of two adjacent semi-conductor plants, injuring some of the employees.

From GMA News TV

Cavite Factory Blast Stared From Metal Container Van

MANILA, Philippines – The power explosion that hit a fireworks factory in Cavite province last week may have started from a metal container van inside the establishment’s production area.

This was according to Nenita Guyo, one of the survivors in the blast that killed 11 people and wounded about 70 others last January 29.

A statement from the Inter-Agency Anti-Task Force (IATF) quoted Guyo as saying that she heard a loud explosion from a table where her co-worker, Avelina Rodriguez, was weighing black powder between two container vans.

She was also quoted as saying that the blast was so powerful that Rodriguez's body was lifted off the ground together with the table she was working on.

“May biglang sumiklab sa ilalim ng mesa sa puwesto ni Nanay Velen (Rodriguez) at biglang sumabog ng malakas at nakita ko siyang umangat kasama ang mesa. Di ko na nakita kung saan siya napunta,” Guyo said.

["There was a spark from beneath the table where Nanay Velen was working, then there was an explosion which was so powerful I saw Nanay Velen lifted off the ground."]

Guyo was one of the victims that survived the blast that took place in Starmaker factory in Trece Martires City at about 10:45 a.m. last January 29.

Another company, Yushita Electronics, located in the same compound as Starmaker, also burned down in the fire that followed the explosion.- Aie Balagtas See, GMANews.TV
Videos Available






I will keep up on this news and post developments and updates about the incident.